Due to the financial downturn in the country, many people are buried in debt. Unexpected circumstances, including a job loss, divorce or an illness can be enough to put an individual or a family under water. If this is the case for you, filing for bankruptcy may be an option. At DeSanto Law Firm we have more than 30 years of legal experience assisting people in and around Youngstown, Ohio with the bankruptcy process. To speak with a lawyer at the firm contact us online or by calling 330-702-8800.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorneys
Chapter 7 is a liquidation process and is available to individuals, married couples, partnerships and corporations. In essence, the debtor allows the trustee to sell any nonexempt property the debtor owns for the payment of any creditor claims. There are two types of Chapter 7 bankruptcy cases.
- Asset case — If there are assets to be sold
- No-asset case — If there are no nonexempt assets
Most often Chapter 7 proceedings are no-asset cases as the debtors have no property which is nonexempt. The debtors do have certain exemptions through federal and state laws for a home, motor vehicle, bank accounts, pensions, etc. Those exemptions often exceed the debtor's interest in property and, as such, the debtor retains all property with no assets being used to satisfy the claims of creditors.
How to File for Bankruptcy
At DeSanto Law Firm we will walk you through the steps in filing bankruptcy starting with a meeting to learn the details of your current situation, discuss your options, determine whether or not you qualify for bankruptcy, and discuss advantages, disadvantages and alternative. Should you decide to proceed, we will move forward by:
- Having you complete worksheets and forms we need to prepare your bankruptcy filing
- You will be required to attend a consumer counseling class
- Meet with you to review and sign all schedules
- File your petition, schedules of assets, debts, income, expenses and financial affairs
- Attend with you a meeting with the trustee assigned to your case
- Have you complete a personal financial management counseling
- You will receive a notice of your bankruptcy discharge
Contact a Canfield Debt Relief Attorney
The bankruptcy lawyers at DeSanto Law Firm have assisted many individuals and families through the bankruptcy process. Although a bankruptcy may remain on your credit rating for up to ten years, most people recover and are able to re-establish credit within three years. If you are deep in debt and wondering how you will get out, there is light at the end of the tunnel. To speak with a lawyer at the firm contact us online or by calling 330-702-8800.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.